Make one 10 in. pie
For the dough
One 10 in. metal with removed bottom tart/pie pan
1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
4.5 oz (1 stick and 1 Tbs) butter
3 Tbs sugar
1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 pinch of salt
For the filling
One can/14 oz condensed milk
1 3/4 cup heavy whipped cream
4 large bananas
1 tsp instant coffee powder
Pinch of freshly ground coffee
2 Tbs powder sugar
1. Make the caramel. Cover the unopened condense milk can completely in cold water. Bring it to a boil, cover and turn the heat down to medium low to simmer/gently boil for three hours. Do not let the water boils dry. It is ok to use the pop opened top can. Remove from heat and let it cool completely. It can be stored unopened for a long time on the shelf. The milk now becomes a brown thick caramel.
2. Add sugar and flour into a food processor, pulse a few times. Add butter, pulse until having bread crumb texture. Add egg, pulse a few times to form a paste. Gather into a ball and wrap in a plastic wrap. Cool in the fridge 30 minutes or overnight.
3. Preheat over to 400 oF 20 minutes before baking with a rack at lower third of the oven.
4. Roll into 1/4 in. thick circle and line the pie/tart pan. Prick all over the dough with a folk, put it on a rimmed baking sheet and bake blind (cover with parchment paper and fill with bean) about 15 minutes. Remove the bean and liner, baking until golden brown about 10-15 minutes more. Remove from oven, let it cools down completely .
5. Put cream and the whips in the freeze for 10-15 minutes. Whip with sugar and instant coffee until smooth and stiff peaks.
6. Assembly the pie: spread the whole can of caramel/toffee atop of the pie shell. Peel the banana and slice or halve them lengthway and lay them on the toffee. Cover with whipped cream and sprinkle ground coffee atop. Serve right away or cover with a plastic film in the fridge.