A red cake is just in time for Valentine. I never wanted to learn baking this cake because the massive amount of red color-1 to 2 oz and oil. However, it is one of Ricky’ favorite and his birthday is a few day short to Valentine . Snow flake candies presents the snow storm early this month and silver sugar for dirty snow waiting for cleaning up at this time. The letter “R” is from free font
Let’s Google : the top rated is Cake man Ravern’s per Google. This recipe uses oil and a lot of them but I did not change any thing. I got a big red liquid food color at Cash & Carry aound $3 dollars,made in USA but you can find a small red bottle at grocery store. Make sure check the freshness of baking powder and baking soda: add a small amount of baking powder to a small amount of water and baking soda to vinegar. If they bubble heavily, they are good. Because baking soda and powder is used here so the batter needs to be baked right away after mixing. Make sure the oven is ready and it can wait for the batter. Take eggs and buttermilk out of the fridge about 1/2 to 1 hour early before preheat oven.
Make one 9-in round or heart shaped cake.
2.5 cups cake flour or 2¼ cups all purpose flour (Spoon into measuring cups)
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbs cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cups sugar
2 eggs at room temperature
1 tsp white vinegar
1.5 cups vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbs liquid red food color
Two 9-inch round pans.
Cream cheese frosting
1 lb. cream cheese, soften
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, soften
4 cup confection sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 oF with a rack in center. Use a brush or your finger apply oil to all inside surface of baking pan. Add 1-2 Tbs flour and shake for flour attacked to oil. If you see any missing spots, dot oil and flour to cover. Shake out excess flour.
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Sift them with a sieve a few times- 3-4 is best.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat all wet ingredients together at low speed until blending well. Add the dry mix into the wet mix. Continue beating at low speed until the batter smooth about 30 seconds. Increase the speed up to medium high and beat a few more minutes until it looks light and fluffy. Scrap the sides down occasionally.
- Pour batter in prepare pans and bake until a tookpick inserted in center comes out clean about 25-30 minutes. Start checking at 25 minutes. Cool cakes in the pans for 10 minutes and turn them out on wire racks with top up to cool completely, at least 30 minutes. Use something (like a removable bottom of tart pan or a piece of carboard cut close to the cake size) to support the cake when you slip it upside down or move it because the cake is very tender. If you want to decorate with some red crumbs, slice off the tops a little bit and maked crumbs from those cuts.
- Beat butter, cream cheese on medium high until light and fluffy. Decrease speed down to low, add sugar and cont. beating until incorporated. Then increase speed up to medium high, beat until fluffy and spreadable consistency. Beat in salt and vanilla.
- Put a cake on a platter, use an off-set spatula or a spare knife spreading a thin layer of frosting on the top. Put the second cake on the top of frosting. Spread a thin layer of frosting all over the cake’s top and sides.Put it in the freezer 15 minutes to seal the crumbs if you want too. Spread the rest all over the cake again. Smooth the surface as much as you can or use a fork/spoon to make patern all over. Decorate with crushed pecan or cake crumbs, candies, sugar, etc.
* Note: Some said original cake is frosted and filled with Ermine icing. I did not use it but save the recipe here:
1 cup milk
3 Tbs all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanila extract
Check out other Red Velvet Cake recipes from trusted sources: